The Book Clinic is a monthly drop-in workshop that studies 1-2 pages of participants’ fiction or nonfiction works in progress for feedback on flow, sentence structure, transitions, and craft. In a warm and welcoming group setting, book coach Eryka Parker will give constructive feedback on a writer’s specific questions and guidance on techniques for improvement. Writers must be willing to have their work shared before a group of peer writers. The feedback and advice for one writer often helps other writers with similar obstacles and growth in their writing.
How to participate:
First, register for the Book Clinic by clicking the “Register” button on this page. Then prepare an email in this format:
- Type “Book Clinic” in your email’s subject line.
- Paste your 1-2 page submission (typed, double-spaced, in Times New Roman 12-point font) into the body of the email.
- Provide any backstory or explanation necessary for the book coach’s full understanding of the submission, including your genre and/or market.
- List 2-3 specific questions you would like the book coach to focus on, such as Does this opening pique your interest? Did I do a good job of showing in this scene?
- Send the email to Laurie Kincer, [email protected], who will forward your email to the book coach.
Resubmissions are welcome at the July 16 or August 16 session. Please ensure the new submission has substantial changes from the original version.
Book coach and developmental editor, Eryka Parker helps writers create business plans to maximize book sales and make a greater impact on their audience. She enjoys working with writers from underserved and underrepresented parts of the community. As a result, she has developmentally edited multiple award-winning novels for BIPOC writers. Through leading workshops, Eryka has partnered with libraries, writing groups, and independent publishing companies to introduce new, creative ways to create content that makes a lasting impact on readers.